Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Public Service

Gerry Tosh, Highland Park
The first time I had Lagavulin, I could not stop at 1,2,3 nosing.  I drew it slowly in many times, enjoying the exquisite aroma.   When I eventually got around to tasting it the sensuality of the peat almost overwhelmed me.  It is still my whisky of choice.  Ardbeg Uigeadail is my second choice, although I haven't found it locally yet.
Not that I don't enjoy the "mainland" whiskies.  They do have their own qualities I appreciate.   I have even been known to have a blended or two and am still living to tell the tale.
I just prefer the island single malts.  I also enjoy going to the small town of Luss on Loch Lomond.  All homes are heated with peat.  My love affair with peat must be in my genes.
I do love his accent and my favourite line:
"Please don't get led down a garden path by somebody who says I can smell you know winter berries picked on a Wednesday by left handed people! it is not important, that is not how it works."
That could be said for the wine snobs as well.


2 comments:

John the River said...

Laphroaig...

They used to hand out a video "Defending the Malt" for free. Vid was free the whiskey is about $58 a bottle.
I still have a wee bit left in the bottle, don't know if I'll ever spring for another.

Minicapt said...

If you visit Islay on Google Maps, you can check out the locations of the distilleries:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islay#mediaviewer/File:Distilleries_Islay_updated_2011.png

A peaty Irish whiskey would be 'Kilbeggan':
http://www.kilbeggandistillery.com/about

Cheers