Saturday, January 3, 2015

December 31,1912

A look back at December 31, 1912, and the century following, gives me a hopeful future as we live in our own turbulent times.  Thanks to the incredible insight of Daniel Greenfield.
 As the year sweeps across the earth, let us remember that history is more than the worst of its events, that all times bear the burden of their uncertainties, but also carry within them the seeds of greatness. Looking back on this time, it may be that it is not the defeats that we will recall, but how they readied us for the fight ahead. 2012 may be as forgotten as 1912, but 2018 and 2022 may endure in history. 
America has not fallen, no more than it did when the clock struck midnight on December 31, 1912. Though it may not seem likely now, there are many great things ahead, and though the challenges at times seem insurmountable and the defeats many, another year and another century await us.
Read it all here at: Sultan Knish
But then turbulent times are pretty much the norm throughout history.  I remember when I read the Bible all the way through (as reading a novel, not for my daily meditations) I was struck by how much man had not changed even as we delude ourselves that we were and are advancing into a more civilised existence.
Yes some cultures are more civilised than others now, but then wasn't that always so, at least to the degree of our knowledge?


2 comments:

David Duff said...

"But then turbulent times are pretty much the norm throughout history."

That's why I like 'snoring-boring times'.

Much better than 'exciting times'.

missred said...

Someone once told me that the trials and tribulations we face is God giving us character. So I told God I was character enough, so please refrain if at all possible.